Friday, February 12, 2010

Question about false positive pregnancy tests?

I took a hpt and got a negative. Over a week later I took another and got a positive result. Then, I went to the doctor and got a positive result. Is it possible to get a positive result at the doctors office and it really be a negative. I am worried that it is actually negative and the test was wrong. All answers are appreciated.Question about false positive pregnancy tests?
Ok.....I've mentioned this several times before and I am going to again....... make sure you get a blood test at the doctors office. That is the one and only sure-fire way to find out if you're pregnant. I've had a false negative AND a false positive at different times in my life, so I will never trust those home tests again.





To Jennifer M (and anyone else who doesn't believe in false positive tests)..... I did indeed have a false positive once and I did not and do not have a rare medical condition at all. I am considered normal to doctors.Question about false positive pregnancy tests?
there is a small chance of a false + but a much higher chance of false -





So Congrats!





The chance of 2 false +'s is like slim to none!
I think anything is possible. I always thought people were lying when they said they had a false positive pregnancy test, having had 3 children, until it happened to me. I took a pregnancy test a couple months ago and it was faintly positive, there were two in the box, so I took the next one first thing the next morning, it was definitely positive. I told my husband and a few hours later I started spotting, I thought no big deal it has happened in all my pregnancy's. The next day I started bleeding really bad so I went to the hospital and they checked me out and I sat there for hours crying about losing my baby, the doctor eventually came back and told me my blood test came back with 000 hormone levels. So I was never pregnant to begin with. I called the company that the test was from and I sent back the test and I'm getting my money back. It was a horrible experience. Anyways I think the only way to know for positive sure is to have the blood test done and if that says positive than your probably pregnant.
congrats, you're pregnant!!
No, it detects hcg in your urine. You probably got a negative before because you took the test when your hcg levels were low. Congratulations are most likely in order. Especially if the doctors did a blood test then you are definitly preganant. Blood test detect hcg in your blood. Good luck with your pregnancy.
I would have to agree with the other answers. congrats
False positive only happen with a rare medical condition and every single test comes back positive each time. With a normal person positive is positive, no questions asked. The reason you got a negative the first time was due to it being to early to test or you did the test wrong.





By the way a doctor can confirm a pregnancy by doing a physical exam where he looks at the cervix.
You can get a false negative, but not a false positive. If you had a positive result twice, then you are pregnant. Did they do blood work? If the blood test came back positive, there is no doubt that you are pregnant. These tests show the amount of HcG in your blood, or urine. If the hormone isn't present, or is small quantity, then you will get a negative result. Once your HcG has reached a certain level, it will always show positive. A blood test is more sensitive and will show smaller amounts then the urine tests, but most doctors now will take a positive HPT as accurate. That's even what we use in the office. They are now over 99% accurate.





More then likely, you either ovulated later then you thought, or the first time you took the test, the levels weren't high enough to show.





Also, a test won't show that hormone unless you are pregnant. It's the human growth hormone that is only present when you are pregnant. I think congradulations is in order!!!





If you don't feel pregnant, don't worry, a lot of women don't at first. Some don't have symptoms, other then a missed period to clue them in. Usually morning sickness doesn't start right away, and other then normal period symptoms (tender breasts, moodiness) there really is no way to tell. You won't be showing yet, and there is no movement you can feel, so it's hard for most women to believe they are pregnant. It's a normal reaction. Don't feel bad, or feel like you should have known. Most women don't.





Treat yourself like you are, start on the pregnancy diet. If you don't know what that is, get and read ';What to expect when you're expecting';. It's the pregnancy bible to us. Treat yourself like you are pregnant and stop any behaviors could effect pregnancy like drug use, smoking, drinking alcohol, or any other behaviors you feel are wrong, or could be a problem later. If you haven't made your first pre-natal apt, call and make it. Good medical care now could mean the difference in a good pregnancy or a bad one. Good luck and congrats!!!!
No such thing as a false positive. You are pregnant!
If the doctor's test came back positive...it is positive. Sometimes when you take the hpt your hormone levels aren't high enough, yet to be read. Most likely that is why that happened to you.
The SAME thing happened with me. I took it and was negative, then randomly took it a week later and it was positive, and so was my blood test. The first one just means that you were too early for the hpt to pick up your hCG horomones!!





Congrats!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment